Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Departure Preparations - Dog

Don't forget me!
About five months before we're scheduled to return to the US, I start making calls to see how we're going to take Tie-Dye home.  The rules have changed for the airlines, and they're not allowed to fly pets as checked baggage or cargo on flights averaging over 12 hours. (This is announced two weeks after the dogs and I arrive in Tokyo, in 2015.  I decide not to worry about it until I have to start thinking about booking tickets for our homecoming.)  Now the time has come, and Delta confirms it - they tell me they cannot fly Tie-Dye to any city in the United States. (New York, Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis are all too far, the wrong planes fly to Seattle & Portland - as in they don't have oxygen circulating in the cargo area - and they only fly to Los Angeles from Haneda airport, and Delta doesn't fly pets out of Haneda.)

(Side note: if you're a government employee or military on assignment, they will still fly your pets as checked bags/cargo, no matter how long the journey.)

I check American Airlines, but they only fly pets as cargo, and I'm trying to avoid that option if possible - the price is ten times as much and requires a drop off more than four hours before the departure...and there's no guarantee he'll be on my plane.  I don't even bother checking their transport times.

United Airlines also only flies pets as cargo, and I know they'll fly him into Los Angeles...but everyone I've ever talked with says you shouldn't use United.  They're my last resort.

"Dad, you don't plan to eat all that fish yourself, do you?"

I wonder if the Japanese airlines have the same restrictions for flying pets...so I check ANA (All Nippon Airlines).  On their website, they state they fly pets as checked baggage, but don't mention any time limits.  When I check their routes, the closest non-stop flight to the southeast United States is Houston, TX. (I want a nonstop without a connection, because in my research many of the problems with pets flying seems to occur during the connection.)  I verify they have one leaving Tokyo in the morning and arriving in Houston in the morning, so the temperatures will be cooler, and it's definitely ANA - not United with an ANA code share.  That means ANA's rules are in effect.  So far, so good.

I call ANA, and reach the English speaking line.  I ask if I'm allowed to check a dog for that flight, and they say yes.  However, they can't verify there's space on the specific trip I want unless I have a ticket.  At least I know it's possible, and we have a way to fly Tie-Dye home with us. 

"Oops, I didn't mean to miss.  No, really!"

Then I have to wait a few months, hoping for no more rule changes, until we receive the final notice for our return home.  Steve and I book our tickets, then I call ANA again.  After being on hold while they verify with Narita Airport (I never ask her why she has to confirm with the airport) she says Tie-Dye can be booked for our plane.  Yes!

"Can I take porcupine with me?"

During my earlier conversation with ANA, they mention an export inspection.  Tahoe & Tie-Dye followed the long process to enter the country, but until that conversation, I don't realize there's a procedure to take a dog out of Japan, too.  But I go to the Animal Quarantine System (AQS) website, and learn that I need to fill out a form and to stop by the airport so Tie-Dye can have an export inspection.  The examination can be completed ahead of time, but because of the difficulty in arranging transportation for him, we decide to do the inspection the same day as our trip.

"Everyone has their work to do -
Dad on his computer, and me with my toy."
I double check the requirements for entry to the United States and Texas, using the CDC website.  All that's necessary is a current rabies vaccination.  As a precaution, I decide to schedule an appointment with my Tokyo veterinarian to receive a health certificate for Tie-Dye, a few days before our trip.  It's not required by the United States, but I decide I want it in case the airline asks for it or we have trouble on the plane. 

About six weeks before our departure, I fill out the application for export inspection, and email it to AQS, along with Tie-Dye's rabies vaccination certificates.  They respond back with a question regarding his other vaccinations, which I also include on the form.  I don't have a certificate for them, and I don't feel like bothering my veterinarian about it, since it's not required for entry into the United States.  At first I can't understand why AQS is concerned about it, but then I realize they are "certifying" my information to my country of entry, so they want proof that these shots have taken place.  I cross out the other vaccinations.  So after only a couple of attempts, my form is approved and we have an appointment set.

The picture I use for Tie-Dye's "story."
I also use the Tokyo American Club's services again.  I type up Tie-Dye's "story" to tape onto his kennel, and ask them to translate it into Japanese for me (I don't trust Google to do it properly for this situation).  Once I have the story in both languages and a cute picture of Tie-Dye, I print it out so it'll be ready to attach when it's closer to our journey.

kennel practice
At this point all that's left is to practice with Tie-Dye in the kennel!   Since I don't have a car, I can't ride around with him in it (to simulate the kennel being moved around while we're in the air).  But I have him go inside, and I bang on the sides and top, and wiggle it back and forth and lift it up slightly - so he's (hopefully) used to noise and it being moved around.  I'm tossing in little treats the entire time I do this, and he enjoys the "kennel game" (or at least the treats).  I'm hoping this helps him be less afraid when he flies, especially since this time he doesn't have Tahoe in a kennel beside him.  I also freeze water in his bucket, and he practices drinking out of it at different stages as the ice melts.  That's everything I can think of to help Tie-Dye prepare for his departure!

"I need a spa day after all this work!"

No comments:

Post a Comment