Monday, April 17, 2017

Tokyo Quilt Fabric Shopping - East Tokyo

Tokyo quilt shop - they do exist!
While looking through some papers, I come across a flyer I picked up at the Tokyo Quilt Festival.  One of the vendors has a physical store in the city, and it's near one of my new discoveries - Kanda, a 5-story fabric/quilting supplies shop.  I decide to spend an afternoon checking out both places (see map at the end for additional help in finding the locations).

The street outside the West exit of Asakusabashi Station.

Cotton Family and Kaleidoscope, the fabric stores (they are owned by the same company), are located near Asakusabashi Station.  It's a 20 minute ride from Shinjuku Station on the JR Chuo-Sobu Line or you can take the Asakusa subway line.  I've never been there, and arrive on the JR line.  I end up walking out the West Exit, and discover I'm in bead shopping paradise.  Lining the street opposite the station is bead store after bead store.  I used to make jewelry, but stopped about 4-5 years ago when quilting took over as my favorite hobby.  I brought my beading supplies with me to Japan in case the desire came over me again, because I know many of the best materials come from here.  So far it hasn't happened, but it's fun to walk by and see all the displays.  (BTW, if you arrive on the subway, the exit closest to the Cotton Family is A3, but you come out on a different street, not the one with the bead stores and Thai restaurant.)

One of the many (I think I saw 8) bead stores.





Pretty (bead) store front!





















Gemstone beads, too! I think this is a chain - I see it at several locations.














It's lunchtime, and I can't resist the Thai restaurant outside of the station, especially once I know it has an English menu.  It makes it a little easier to understand what you're ordering.  The food is good - I wouldn't make a special trip to go here (it's about 30 minutes from where I live), but if I'm in the area I'll stop by again.

I wonder if they do outside seating when the weather is nice?
It takes about 5 minutes to walk to Cotton Family (click for their website - in Japanese) from the station. 

The sign posted at the corner for
Cotton Family - it's in English!




Inside there's a nice selection of American fabrics - Moda, Kaffe Fassett, etc.  No batiks, however!  This is similar to what I found at Country Quilt Market, near Nishi-Ogikubo Station (on the other side of town).  Again, if you're an American tourist, you won't see anything different and it will be more expensive than the shops at home.  However, if you're from Europe or Australia, or living here, it may be worthwhile to check out!
I love seeing fabric lining the walls!

Easy purchases - already cut in 1 meter increments.

















 
I see a bolt of material that I purchased as a fat quarter at the Quilt Festival.  I'd love to have more of it, and ask for 1.5 meters.  They have a machine that measures out the amount.  I've seen this at some of the big box stores in the US, but it's only used for extremely large (8-10 yard) cuts.  It's so cool to see it at work, here!  There's also a discount on the fabric for buying more than a 1 meter cut - 20% off.  I couldn't tell if they have a sale or if it's a permanent discount.

There isn't much in the way of notions, nor thread.  Upstairs they have a floor primarily of decorating fabric.

Do I feel inspired to make new pillows for the apartment couch?  No - too many quilts to make!

On the ground floor beside Cotton Family is another store front, Kaleidoscope.  It's owned by the same company as Cotton Family.  Inside is a limited amount of quilting fabric - Cotton + Steel along with some European fabric designers.  There's also some charms and a few other accessory items.

Kaleidoscope store front


Some of the fabric at Kaleidoscope



























From here it's only a 10 minute walk to my new favorite store to purchase a variety of quilting fabric and supplies - Kanda (which is very confusing, because there is a Kanda Station, but the store is no where close to that station).  The walk to Kanda from Cotton Family has lots of interesting little shops along the way.  Yoshitoku Dolls is a store that was established in 1711 (before the United States was created!) that makes traditional dolls.  These are not toys, however, and they are not inexpensive!  When I go in many of the displays are of samurai outfits, and I see prices of $1200-1700.

Cute small items, here...and not expensive!















There are ostrich and alligator leather purses at this merchant - a bit expensive!















Kanda storefront - at the corner (literally)
As you move closer to Kanda this district is also known for wholesale shops, so look carefully before entering a store.  I saw signs at different locations (in English!) that said they are not a retail store.  Kanda, however, is not a wholesaler, though you do have to join their membership club, for about $5.  The prices in Kanda are good (the same as a sewing supply wholesaler that I visited) so it's worth the $5. 

Kanda (click for their website - in Japanese) focuses primarily sewing and quilting supplies, unlike some of the other stores that focus on multiple crafts, like Yuzawaya and Okadaya.  One floor is just fabric, and they also have a large selection of American manufacturers....including a single bookshelf of batiks.  It's the largest selection of batiks outside of Tomato in Nippori.  The day I visit all the fabric is on sale, $1-3 off per meter. There was no sale when I visited before.

Sale!  I may have to stock up!

More fabric, including precuts
Just grab and go!

















The Japanese fabric is here, too - again similar to what you would see at Yuzawaya or Tomato.  If you're short on time you can visit either Yuzawaya or Kanda - the fabric selection is similar, so you won't miss anything by skipping one.  However, Tomato is the store to see for the biggest fabric selection (by far).

Stripes and plaid Japanese fabrics


Japanese designer cotton fabrics - sometimes only $7/meter.

















This is the only place I've seen a large selection of quilting stencils!  And other than Okadaya, the only place to carry 505 basting spray.  There's an entire floor of notions, pins, bias tape, etc.  I even found my new favorite hand applique needles, made by Tulip.  If you are looking for any Clover product, they probably have it.  Turns out they also manufacture their own items - I recognize a kit I bought at the 2016 Tokyo International Quilt Festival (if you look back at that post you can see it in the picture of my stash at the bottom center - it's the Mt. Fuji "stained glass" applique).  At Kanda they have about 25 different stained glass kits.

Nice variety of stencils!

What Kanda has the largest selection of is thread!  I haven't found another shop with as much variety in manufacturers or color.  There's a good supply of different lines from Superior Threads - the most I've seen in Japan, including at the quilt shows.  I've also been told a little secret, though I can't verify it - a Japanese company, Fujix, is supposed to be the one that actually makes Superior Thread.  So if you buy a Fujix brand, it's the same thing you get from Superior Thread, but cheaper here in Japan!  It makes sense - they brag about how their thread is made in Japan, along with their sewing machine needles.  Superior Threads sells Organ brand needles, and they can be found at all the sewing shops (including Kanda)!

Mettler and Superior Thread brands

Told you there's a lot of thread!


















The top floor of Kanda is devoted to supplies for making purses.  I've never seen so many purse handles in one place!  It almost makes me want to make purses again...almost.  It's still too soon after making my furoshiki bag.

Aisle after aisle of purse handles
Purchases are made on the first floor - look for the arrows on the tile to help you to line up properly.  If you don't have a membership card, ask for it when you reach the counter - you'll have to fill out a small form.  If you don't live in Japan, you can write the address of your hotel - they'll never know!  They accept cash or credit cards (Visa or Master Card).  Happy shopping!

   
The top right dark red pin is Cotton Family/Kaleidoscope.  The bottom left dark red pin (labeled Point B) is Kanda.  Google shows a possible walking path between them, though I encourage you to explore!

To read more about quilt fabric shopping in Tokyo:
Tomato and Nippori: here 
Yuzawaya and Okadaya: here
Country Quilt Market and other Tokyo quilt stores: here

No comments:

Post a Comment