Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Sapporo Snow Festival - Part 2

This would be a fun sledding hill!
While walking over to the Snow Festival, we come up on the back side of this structure. I thought for sure it would be a giant sled slide, and I could take a ride.  We never made it back that night, but the next day we finally come across the front.  As we get closer and I see how high and steep it really is (about 200 feet and 39 degrees), I'm considering changing my mind.  Turns out it's actually a snowboard and ski jump, so I can't go down it, anyway.  We're able to watch one of the 30 minute snowboard demonstrations.  I've only seen it in passing on tv, but it's fun to view it in person.

Very brave!

Steve, the TV star!
As we walk around, we're stopped by a tv crew.  They'd like to do an interview, so Steve steps up.  They seem to have a bit of bias - they're asking leading questions, looking for complaints.  We're having a fantastic time, so Steve isn't able to give them the answers the want.  After a couple of minutes, they continue on.

We can glimpse mountains in Tokyo, but they're a distance away.  Sapporo is located in a valley, and it's fun to see this vista in every direction.

Almost makes me wish I knew how to ski....almost.

Our hotel is a couple of blocks from the ice portion of the Festival.  We walk around some back roads to get there (Steve likes to explore) and we see the snow that's been pushed aside so the sidewalks are a little more clear (there's still snow and ice on a lot of them, but only a few inches deep).  The snowbank is as tall as I am!

A few steps backward and you would never see me again!

We make it to the ice sculptures, and they are equally fascinating...but harder to photograph!  Even the "good" camera cannot capture all the details.

Ice sculptures as far as you can see!
Several blocks of the street have been divided, with the center section being used to hold the figures.  Cars can drive along the road until 3:00 pm, when it's then closed to traffic. We stroll along, admire the art work, and dart in to take closer photos when the light is red.

The sign says "Beautiful Tone," and there's a harp, but it's possibly representing a myth.





Phoenix - a popular model for the show





It keeps going....


















We decide to stop by again at night, so we can see them lit up.  We're hoping the pictures will show more of the intricacies, but the clear ice (without a solid backdrop) doesn't permit it.  At least we're able to appreciate their beauty while we're there.

It's titled "Beauty and the Legendary Bird," but it looks like a fish to me!




I think this is Steve's favorite one!






Another phoenix











I told you there are a lot of phoenixes!  Pick the one you like best!






















Maybe one of the better photos























It took me 5 minutes to talk Steve into getting in the ice boat.
















Ice dragon selfie!

No comments:

Post a Comment