Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Tokyo Quilt & Stitch Show

Tokyo Big Sight - it's definitely big!
I seem to be on a roll with quilting-themed posts, so I'll include one more!  The Quilt and Stitch Show took place in Tokyo in September and I'm able to stop by. It's held at the Tokyo Big Sight, a huge conference center near Tokyo Bay.  


Less than 100 people in front of me in line.
(You know you're in Tokyo when you consider a line
of 100 people to be short!)





After the Tokyo International Quilt Festival (IQF) I wasn't sure what to expect with regards to the crowds, so I get there about 15 minutes before it opens.  The line is much shorter this time, though!










Not the half day workshops, but they also
have mini-lessons at different booths.
I find out too late to sign up, but they actually have half day workshops (unlike IQF). It looks like all Japanese instructors, so I probably wouldn't understand them anyway, but I'll check for next year. (It did look like they had someone from the quilt museum in Paducah giving a talk.)
Lecture/speaker area



















There doesn't seem like a lot of quilts in the show.  In fact, I can't tell what the categories actually are for the competition.  All the signs are in Japanese - including the no picture signs, which did NOT have an accompanying graphic.  So I got yelled at twice for taking pictures of quilts I wasn't supposed to. (Okay, it was the Japanese version of yelling, which was a polite request not to take pictures.)  No ribbons are attached to any of the quilts, either. The only thing that makes me think there is a competition is one wall where they have a few quilts that are different styles, and all very well made. (And I saw an ad requesting entries a few months back).  

So here's a couple from the (I think) winner's wall:

I like the 3-D effect.

 











I might have to make one of these...or just buy a Daruma doll!
I love this Daruma doll quilt!  Very cute.  I wonder if this was made for someone, because Daruma dolls represent perseverance and good luck.  It makes an appropriate theme for a gift quilt!












There are a couple of exhibits at the show (these are the ones you're not supposed to take pictures of).  One set of quilts is from the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, and I know that because of the small writing in the corner of the "made by" plaque.  It was the only written English in the entire show.  Hopefully, the rest of these quilt shots are "legal."

Love the geometric design!



 













Close up of the above quilt - good idea for those decorative stitches I never use on my sewing machine!


I know I've seen this quilt before...







Close up - pretty decorative stitching.  Now I
know why my friends buy 12 weight threads.























I love the way the Storm at Sea block are used in this quilt.
























Very pretty, and cleverly done. 



















Good fabric choices in this Orange Peel (?) variation.








Close up - the checkered fabric has a nice effect.

The Japanese shows always seem to be well represented in the bags and clothing divisions.
Lots of different styles















Thinking of autumn...










I'm interested in seeing the new Janome MC 9400, but they don't have it at the booth. Steve doesn't have to worry about us fitting another machine in the apartment!  Then the HQ people try to sell me the HandiQuilter Simply 16, bit I'm not completely wild about that idea. No other long arm vendors are at the show - most of the housing in Tokyo is too small for them!

small part of the panel
I think they have better vendors at the Quilt and Stitch Show than the IQF. At least, I spend more money.  I buy two things I don't normally purchase, both Hawaiian quilt related. One is a panel of a Hawaiian quilt motif. I thought it might be good quilting practice. But then I remembered I have plenty of hand work I can do if I want. I blame it on the bright colors - maybe that's why I buy more fabric this time. Don't go shopping at quilt vendors when your eyes are starved for color!


sashiko kit - more Hawaiian quilting






The other item is a sashiko kit...with a Hawaiian motif. I have thought since I'm in Japan I should try sashiko quilting, and this kit comes with everything. It's sold by Tulip, which apparently is a popular company in Japan, based on how crowded their booth is. I'm interested in trying their needle, to see if I become a fan, too. 





Otherwise, my purchases are mostly fabric!  I do have a little theme going...dark value oranges and chartreuse greens.  It's not until I get them home that I decide they would go together nicely in a quilt.  I'm going to have to start looking at patterns...

some Moda fabrics here



Love the greens!


 










Lots of good things to buy!














Several vendors give me gifts, too - just little scraps of fabric.  I couldn't tell if they are being nice because they assume I'm a visitor to Japan or if I'm spending a lot of money...

Something else interesting I notice is the pricing of the items.  If there's a special price for five items (say $15/for 5 instead of $3.50/each) and you buy six items, the discounted price is not continued on the additional fabric.  So you pay $15 for five, plus $3.50 for the sixth one.  In the US the discount is always extended - aren't they trying to get you to buy more and reduce their inventory?

More vendors to shop at!

I didn't know which quilt won "Best of Show," so I had to take my selfie with the sign.  They already have the show scheduled for 2017, so I plan to return!

Too scared to take a photo with a quilt in the background - I figured if they yelled at me three times I would be banned for life from all Tokyo Quilt Shows!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see they still have lots of garments in their show...we've seemed to not have as many recently. A jacket did win "best in show" out in a large California show this week though! Love the fabrics...can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I recently moved to Tokyo & found your blog while looking up the Quilt & Stitch show. I'm also a crafter, and I've enjoyed all your quilting and sewing posts! It looks like you've done a lot of fabric shopping here, do you happen to know where I could find a large (24"x36") Olfa cutting mat? Unfortunately the movers ruined mine by shipping it folded in half :( And despite it being a Japanese product, I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. Even on Amazon.jp the only one I've found is over 12,000 yen! Thanks for all your helpful posts on fabric stores, I look forward to doing some shopping soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Tokyo! I believe Okadaya in Shinjuku, Kanda (1-14-10 Nihonbashi Bakuro-cho, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0002) and Yuzawaya (the Kamata location is the largest store) all carry the Olfa cutting mats, but I'm not sure if they have them that large. They will also have metric measurements, instead of customary, printed on them. If you send me your email in a comment (I won't publish it) I can give you some more information.

      Delete