Sunday, December 13, 2015

...that ends well.

I get to try out my new line at Immigration (Re-entry for Permit Holders) because I have a resident card for Japan.  All goes well.  Then the moment of truth - down to baggage claim to get the dogs.  (This is baggage claim before customs, so I'm still on my own.)

I could never get a clear answer as to where I would actually pick up the dogs.  The paperwork said baggage claim, but it's kind of a big area.  I decide first I'll grab the three suitcases I checked so then I'll be able to focus on the dogs.  My bags are already lined up and off the carousel, waiting for me.  Love the customer service (the priority tags help)!  As I'm loading them on a luggage cart, a Japanese woman with a clipboard comes up and asks if I have two dogs on the flight.  Wow, I wish they had just told me they'd find me and bring me to them.  We go to the back of the baggage claim area, and they call out on a walkie talkie.  One kennel comes sliding down a forty-five degree, ten foot conveyor belt (like a log flume ride, though I don't think the dogs liked it very much), then the other.  They're both still alive!

They don't seem very excited to see me, though - no barking, no happy noises.  They're really quiet.  I think they're a little traumatized by everything that's happened.  But they're moving and looking around, so I decide they just need time.  I now have two people helping me - I have five bags (checked & carry-ons) and two extra large kennels.  Japan's luggage carts will only hold one kennel.  I tried ahead of time to see if I could arrange assistance because I knew it would be too much for me alone, but neither Delta nor the airport said they could provide porters.  Knowing the Japanese people, I figured someone would help....and they did.

At the Animal Quarantine Services counter, all is going well with the paperwork (sigh of relief).  We go to the private room so I can remove the dogs (one at a time) to have their microchip numbers checked.  Still no excitement about seeing me, but they're sniffing around the room and otherwise acting pretty much normal.  We're done in about half an hour.

Then off to the customs agent with my entourage.  I hand him my
Not our dogs, but our taxi.
forms, he doesn't even ask me any questions, and then we are free to enter Japan!  Finally I get to walk through the sliding doors and see my husband again.  As we go through the barrier Steve comes running over to us.  We have time for a quick kiss and a hug, to say thank you to the people helping to push the carts, then we're anxious to be outside because the dogs haven't had a chance to go to the bathroom in over 15 hours. We have a pet taxi (yes, a real thing) to take us all on the 60 minute drive to the apartment, for a mere $400.  But the planning has paid off, and we're finally all together again, in our new home!
Reunion selfie

1 comment: