Sunday, September 4, 2016

Joel Robuchon


Before dinner at Joel Robuchon's Chateau - with empty stomachs!

Our dinner (plus some!)
Our guests have returned home safely, and Steve and I go out for a quiet evening of dinner and a movie (Money Monster).  While waiting in a plaza area before we go in to the movie, we see one of Joel Robuchon's bakeries.  I mention to Steve that he has a 3-star Michelin restaurant here in Tokyo.  We decide to see if we can get reservations...and we're in!  So a couple of weeks later we head to Ebisu to Joel Robuchon's Chateau.

I think Steve would be happy with only this course!

 
It's "modern French," as opposed to French-Japanese fusion (many of the French restaurants in Tokyo are French-Japanese).  Right away we feel like we're in France!  A large cart with over 25 different breads is brought over to us.  The waiter nicely names every one.  We can pick as many as we want, but I stop at three - there are many courses ahead of us!  What fun - we have a choice of butter or oil to dip our bread in.  I think Steve is in heaven.

Kanpai!

He orders a cocktail, and it comes with one of our favorite accompaniments - a single ice cube that fits exactly in the glass.  I like this place!

We start off with a "gift" from the chef - a mini shrimp sandwich (you can just see it in Steve's left hand).  Then the menu begins!  I don't think I ever figured out why the caviar is called "mimosa style."
Where's the oj and champagne?



















These three dishes makes up the first course.  I like how the plates are all decorated so they coordinate with each other (it's the quilter in me).

Dippin' dots!

I can't resist any food served to me in a silver dome, especially a mini one!  Too cute! (This is the third course.)
I think I have these placemats at home.

 
Our main course is beef with foie gras (it's a French restaurant - you know we're going to end up with foie gras at some point), smoked with rosemary.  The waiter warns me to be ready to take a picture when he opens the top of the box so I can get a picture with the smoke rising. 





I should start doing this at home!





Because we have the smoke presentation, they dress the plates table-side.  I joke with the staff that the chefs are getting lazy and passing off their duties, but I don't think they get the joke.  (Sometimes it's hard to make jokes with Japanese people - I always blame the language issues.)

And here's the finished plate!  At first I'm eating the beef and foie gras separately, but Steve tells  me to try them together.  It's good...and very rich, too!

 

















After we finish the main course they wheel over the cheese cart.  They make a point to tell us (several times) that all the cheese is from France.  Now that I think about it, I haven't really seen "cheese from Japan" in the stores...
Twenty cheeses to pick from!

Decisions, decisions.

Steve has a serious dilemma.  Not only did they bring the bread cart by three times during the meal, but now they offer even more types of bread to accompany the cheese.  He has a moment of debate before indicating yes, he would like some more bread.









I skip the bread because I know dessert is coming up!  In addition, we're offered a selection of nuts and dried fruits. Yum!

Just enough to try everything.


















We're served our dessert course...but wait, there's more!  We have another choice of desserts, along with different gelato flavors to pick.

dessert plate #1











dessert plate #2





You know I won't pass up chocolate dessert or pistachio gelato!










It hurts so good!



Steve is trying to stretch out his stomach because it hurts from eating so much food.  After two dessert courses, I'm feeling a little bit the same!












And there's still more - it's the petit fours cart!  I'm not sure why they have a centerpiece of coral and fish because there's not a water theme with the petit fours (not that I am aware of, anyway).  Either way, I manage to find room to fit in a few more treats!

Now I get it-the petit fours are in fishbowls...























I think this is how both of us feel at the end of the meal!  Maybe we should walk the 2.5 miles back to the apartment. 

I don't think I'll eat again for three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment